17 December 2017 / Club News

Match Report: Pontardawe V Cwmllynfell

Ponty hosted top of the table Cwmllynfell in a much looked forward too match following the Cherries recent run of form. There was a good turn out of supporters particularly from the visitors, despite the gloomy weather with possible threat of heavy downpours and it being the penultimate shopping Saturday before Christmas. 


The visitors kicked off and only three minutes later referee Kieran Hooper from Cwmavon was raising his arm to award them a fine try at the posts. The worst possible start for Ponty and it came from what was a great long distance attacking kick of some fifty metres by Ponty which was gathered by one of the Cwmllynfell backs who run the ball out off his 25 directly down the middle of the pitch,past half way, past one or two disappointing attempts at tackling before he offloaded to a team mate on Ponties 25 and yet another pass saw the try secured. Only three minutes after the successful conversion the Cwmllynfell kicker was adding another three points from a penalty kick 25 yards out awarded against Ponty for a high tackle. The game then settled down somewhat with the visitors running and off-loading backs, looking very impressive, despite their forwards being hammered at the scrums.  Ponty offered little in attack but were resolute in defence and needed to be as Cwmllynfell launched wave after wave of varying attacks from pick and go forwards and touchline to touchline passing backs.  Under such intensive pressure it was inevitable that Ponty sought long distance kicks down the field in an attempt to relieve it, but as the saying goes a kick is only as good as its chase” so the visitors relished the possession they were receiving and run the ball right back with gusto with little or no ground gained by Ponty. Despite their monopoly of possession Ponties tremendous tackling and scrummaging supremacy saw the visitors only add another penalty to their score line before half time. Indeed Ponty finished the half on a high with a good up the middle break by Dai Hawkins which resulted in a penalty award that normally nine times out of ten would have been converted into points. So at half time the score was 0 - 13 


The third quarter was little different to the first two as wave after wave of attacks were thwarted by robust tackling by all and Norm and Mike Hodges in particular. Penalties were being taken at what seemed like regular intervals and the scored moved onto 0 -19 by the end of this quarter. Then saw Ponties first meaningful attack of the game and after a number of positive phases and scrummages Dai Hawkins made an incisive break first to his right then to his left to run in to score his try at the posts having beaten two or three defenders.  Hopes of seeing a turning of the tide’ soon faded as normal service was resumed following the restart with the visitors attacking and crossing the line only for it to be disallowed. The game ended with a Cwmllynfell kick to the corner gather the lineout and power play numerous phases to score under the posts which was converted. Final score 7 - 26


All in all a disappointment for Ponty but they can be proud of the dogged defence and scrummaging prowess. Questions need to asked as to whether long distance in field kicks that are not being followed up are preferable to seeking touch instead.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments